Prepping Herbs (Yin/Yang Ointment)

For my Yin and Yang ointment's I use a variety of oils, beeswax and herbs. Growing up, herb's were a big part of my childhood and I learned a great deal about how to use them and what to use them for. Even to this day, I am commonly searching, comparing, and testing the observance's of others in order to come up with my own "Perfect Blend"


Of course... everyone has different experiences, bodies, and beliefs... so "Perfect" is just a personal thing.

That being said. I thought Id share with everyone a portion of how I prepare one of the herbs in my ointments. Herbs like arnica, witch hazel, lemon balm, and many others that I either can't grow myself, had zero success in growing (I'm not really good at growing things believe it or not!! LoL) or it's simply out of season for me. As such...I will purchase my ingredients in dried bulk from other approved companies and I am always on the lookout for better, affordable options. This for the most part ensures that the herbs are clean and properly processed.

There are a select few herbs that I do grow myself. Comfrey for example grows like wild ferns in my backyard since the day I planted them years ago.... and since I refuse to use chemical products in my yard I feel comfortable using it in my ointments.

So, it is comfrey I will show how to process today.

Naturally, this method will work for most leafy herbs but of them all, comfrey is by far the easiest simply because the leaves are so big! haha.
Comfrey is a root growing plant. Which means as the root system grows, more sprouts will shoot up far from where you originally planted it. So far I've gotten lucky as it's grown in a straight line along my back shed.

This year I was really worried that I would loose my crop! We got rained out early in the season, so much so that it was turning my leaves black and mildew-y, Michigan has been nothing but problematic for me and my gardens...it's either the weather that is against me, the bugs, or the deer.

Still, I think this batch looks very beautiful! Don't you?!


Once you have picked a good bundle. We take them inside to get a good washing.

As mentioned before, I don't use any chemicals in my yard but it is always a good idea to wash your harvest to clean off any residue that may have traveled in the air, as well as any microscopic bugs, bacteria and so forth.

I then give my leaves a good rinse in the sink, and later spray them down with Apple Cider Vinegar

When using herbs in ointments we have to first infuse the oils we wish to use with the herbs best properties. In order to do that, we must ensure that there is no moisture in our herbs before soaking them in the oils. Moisture causes rot and mildew regardless of it's infusion and that isn't very pleasant for anyone! Ick!

After a good rinse and spray. I'll start by layering my leaves in paper towels. Now...reminder: I am not trying to press the leaves dry like one would with pressed flowers in an art project. I am simply drying the outer excess moisture off the leaves.

To do that. We tear off a strip of paper towel long enough to fit the leaf, my paper towels allow for two leaves to sit side by side. So, two on, layer another strip of paper towel, two more leaves, more paper towels and so on....
So, two on, layer another strip of paper towel, two more leaves, more paper towels and so on....
After you have completed this layering process, carefully pick up your precious bundle and find a nice dark place to set them over night. Don't put anything heavy on them, don't try and bend or crack the leaves....we want all the glorious healing juices left inside our leaves as much as possible. Leave them in this state over night.


I put mine in my work room atop of my keyboard.

Yea...I know. Don't judge!! The paper towels sufficiently soak up any moisture and it causes no damage to my precious keyboard. Promise!

But...my work room is usually always dark, and my keyboard is the least tampered with, semi flat surface I have. Everywhere else is occupied or high traffic areas....

Besides....I don't practice my keyboard nearly as much as I probably should haha XD *blush*

ANYWAYS!!

After allowing the leaves to sit overnight, we revisit the work when time properly allows for the next step. Full drying.

This step is really quite simple. Just gather your leaves up into a bundle, wrap the stems with twine, or even rubber bands and then hang up to dry in a room with not much sunlight.

Once our leaves are dry. We can crumble them up easily with our hands and begin our first steps to making amazing Yin & Yang Ointments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog